Saturday, September 02, 2006

Of Believing In Yourself

hello public

I'm never gonna be good enough for you
I can't pretend that I'm alright
Cause we lost it all
And nothing lasts forever
I'm sorry I can't be perfect

Now it's just too late
And we can't go back
All the days we spent
Now seem so far away

I try not to think about the pain I feel inside
I'm sorry I can't be perfect

***

well well, seems just like yesterday that it was 9th of June 2006. everytime i switch the telly or flip the papers, there were constant reminders of this glorious date. the whole world was awaiting except me. while that date meant the beginning of the world cup to many, it only meant the end of freedom to me.

now, slightly more than 3 months later, i, to a certain extent, cannot bear to part with what i dreaded earlier. these 3 months has definitely been the most memorable ones for me. from the ups to the downs, i pulled through.

these 3 months have suprised me a whole lot. i never could imagine that i would be capable of achieving the standards that i've achieved today. i never knew i was that strong. for the past 8 years, never once did i pass my 2.4km run in my napfa test. so many times i've failed and for so long i've given up the glimmer of hope of clinching the passing mark. but now i boast an 11minute timing. it may be nothing to many whom are in the ranks of the 9 minute runner but to me, it is definitely an outstanding feat. i started off with an 18 minute timing in my first test and now shook off 7minutes within 3 mths.

in the past week, i also accomplished something i never thought i would. i managed to complete my Standard Obstacle Course. its this place where u have to run a lot, get over a brick wall, jump over barb wires, climb a rope and balance alot on wooden poles. throughout the past 6 lesson, never once did i manage to complete the whole obstacle entirely. i'd either be stuck at the brick wall or the rope. furthermore, running with ur rifle and helmet are such a chore, especially when they are quite heavy.

i remembered what 2LT Hakim, an officer whom i have high admiration for, told me. ''i know you want this, i can see it in your eyes, never fear the obstacles, what does not kill you will only make you stronger, dont give up on yourself ali cause i will never give up on you''. seriously, that has been the most motivating thing i've heard. ever. period. so in the final test i gave it my all and completed every single obstacle with only one try.

another amzing feat that i accomplished this week would be my graduation march of 24km. imagine marching with a beyond heavy backpack, helmet, rifle for 8 hours. its unimagineable alone marching for 8 hours or marching a whole 24 kilometres in the jungle. its even worse for the fact that u have to do it carrying stuff on your body weighing ard 10kg. the whole thing started at 3pm and ended at 1130pm. i had no idea how i did it but i simply couldnt stop smiling when i completed the whole march. the result of my whole march, tonnes of blisters, buckets of sweat, kilos of aches and cramps and definitely, a sky of pride.

i am a soldier now.


and of course, i definitely couldnt have done it without the support and motivation of this people.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Raven Company Platoon 3 Section 4. having slept with these 12 other men for the past 3mth has definitely changed me for the better. and i thank you.


to the public, believe in yourself because i did and miracles happened.

toodles.

2 comments:

Findecano Minyatur said...

Hi Ali, POP LO! It's been such a great pleasure sleeping with you guys! HAHAHA!!

P.S: where's the $1.40 chocolate bar? =)

Anonymous said...

Its been sure a wonderful experience... i'm sure all the guys in Raven 3, Section 4 will 4ever remember and cherish the tough times we went thru..